Friday 3 May 2013

Insulation Part One

There  were three types of insulation that we considered
1 Sprayfoam. This was our favorite option and we were disappointed to have to rule it out. The few people that were prepared to haul their equipment down the towpath also needed electric, lighting and that the shell was dried out. The major problem was we were using my work generator and had no meams of going under a cover or anything. We investigated every avenue open to us but to no avail.
2 Fibreglass This was quickly ruled out mainly due to fire resistance and it's actual insulation properties.
3 Polystyrene So this is what we were left with, I sourced a company in Birminghamthat could supply 8*4 sheets of fire resistant polystyrene in various thicknesses as long as I bought pack quantities and collected.

With this now on the boat I set about the installation, using the structure of struts throughout the boat I cut panels of polystyrene, dried the area from condensation, and covering the backs with silicone, forced the polystyrene between each angle iron strut.


Using 2" thickness below the gunnels and 1" on the ffood and sides above she soon looked different.
Then I fixed treated 2*1 roof battens to the struts at 600mm centers to the struts
Then I repeated the process with1" polystyrene between my battens,again sealing with silicone.
The roof was completed in a similar manner using 3/4" materials.




































1 comment:

  1. They have been very useful in helping us to decide on our mechanical systems. Particularly, I was leaning toward a heat pump water heater. After reading your experience I will look a little harder at the other options before us. Thanks again for your well detailed posts. I look forward to the next one.Bore Pumps

    ReplyDelete