Wednesday 8 May 2013

Calorifier

I had already decided that a horizontal calorifier would fit in best with my design
The ideal position for the calorifier was under the bed, this would later prove to keep our feet warm on cold winters nights.
Using the frame I had made for the bed I housed the calorifier in one of the storage spaces I had created.



I left a modicum of space to allow connection of the pipework.
I bolted the unit down to the floor with the feet provided.
The pipe work was relatively simple, all the spigots were clearly marked and accepted the pushfit system I was using. I teed the cold supply into the calorifier and let the pipe run through to the back cabin for possible installation of a washing machine at a later date, so I capped the pipe with a washing machine valve.
I connected the hot to a shut off valve then through an expansion tank to the shower room and on to the galley, leaving tee positions where required.
I then fed some pipes into the back cabin for later connection to the engine and heating unit. I also fed the overflow into the bilge.
I connected the immersion to a fused spur on my 240v ring to provide hot water.




I capped all open pipes and turned on the pump, after a while of listening to the sound of running water, albeit in a sealed system, I thought better check the joints! I found two minor weeps, the first was on the cold expansion tank joint, quarter turn with a spanner cured that one. The second was a bit more time consuming as I found I had crushed an insert somehow and had to replace a small section of pipe work. I also installed a drain off valve near the calorifier as I'd been caught out with the leak.
For several months we had been using water from camping containers, carried daily from the nearest tap on the mooring section, and now we had water on the boat. It had taken three long hosepipes to fill the tank with 650 Litres of water and I realised I couldn't fill a kettle from it yet!
Now I needed to fit a tap either in the galley or shower room, I chose to fit the galley........

No comments:

Post a Comment