Friday 3 May 2013

Insulation Part 2

So the battens were attached with self tapping screws and I coated the back with silicone as it came into contact with the steel



The battens were squared from the floor, as I had used string lines to install it.
I then fitted the 1" polystyrene between the battens, fixing and sealing with silicone.

This resulted in a thickness of 3" below the gunwales and 2" above. Under the gunwales were insulated with strips of polystyrene, again fixed with silicone.


Some areas of the boat were difficult so
I used spray foam from cans to ensure a good seal.
The sides were made longer to create a natural trunking for cables. Where the cable runs were to feed sockets I used 9mm ply channels, so there was no contact between cable and polystyrene, as this could cause corrosion to the outer sheath of the cable.





Skirting channels were also created with ply to house the plumbing.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like tudor cladding! ;)

    How good has it been as an insulator, since it wasn't your first choice in material?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a lot better than I was informed perhaps it's the double skin. Tudor cladding hmmmm gives me an idea!

      Delete
    2. Certainly a lot better than I was informed perhaps it's the double skin. Tudor cladding hmmmm gives me an idea!

      Delete
  2. It looks like tudor cladding! ;)

    How good has it been as an insulator, since it wasn't your first choice in material?

    ReplyDelete