Wednesday 8 May 2013

Water Tank and Pump

Next job was to get fresh water on the boat, I was spending an enormous amount of time camping on her now. Under the well deck was the ideal location and very common on narrowboats. The slight problem that I had was the bow thrusters, although the access panel was in the well deck it protruded into the void below, this was also the entry point for the electric and hydraulic power supplies for them. After long searches on the internet, with no luck it was decided that we would need to go bespoke and have one manufactured.
I drew the shape to follow the curve of the swim until it was a few inches short of the bow thruster housing, then straightend the line for ease of manufacturing.
I then squared back to the main cabin about 3/4 of the width of the boat, in order to leave an access crawl way to the bow thruster housing. After measuring and drawing I realised that really it was a simple rectangle with a corner cut off. I worked the height out to slide under the well deck but still be as big as possible, marked the positions of the inlet, outlet and air vent and my drawing was completed. Now who to send it to for a quotation to manufacture in stainless steel.
By complete chance Simon Waine from the boat yard passed while walking his dog, he saw the drawing added a few helpful comments and alterations and stated he could sort it out. I gave him the drawing and said let me know price and delivery which he duly did.
Three weeks later I had this monstrous stainless steel cube on my boat. For some unknown reason I cannot find a photo prior to installation.



The tank was fitted under the well deck quite easily, I had to cut a hole in the forward port locker floor to access the inlet connection, but I figured I could turn this into an access panel at a later date.
I fitted some treated 3*2 around the footprint to lock the tank into position, a false wall would be constructed at a later date, that could be lined to match the interior. My first fix plumbing was then connected through a shutoff valve, expansion chamber, filter, pump, second shutoff valve, second filter then to the tank itself. This gave me the option to service any part of the system without the need to drain the tank, which I worked out would hold 650 litres of fresh water. I later added some drain off valves anyway as a precaution. The electrical supply was to be 12v for the pump and I hadn't started this yet so I just ran two colour coded cables back to my fuse box location, along the skirting trunking on the port side, where I had an old car battery for test purposes.

1 comment: